Saturday, June 2, 2012

Food Research I Should Not Have Done!

This is the traditional Irish breakfast. Warmed tomatoes are served with eggs, potatoes, toast or biscuit, baked beans - yes, baked beans, breakfast sausages, rashers (Irish bacon, but what we would call ham) and the two small round "puddings" - I'll elaborate on those later. The sausage had a strange texture that I didn't care for, but otherwise the breakfast was very good. My fears went unrealized as the food was overall very good ( I do miss the coffee!) - or I was very good at avoiding the questionable, unidentifiable eats! I would classify the food as hearty - stews, shepherd's pie, a lot of vegetables like potatoes, leeks, carrots, turnips and cabbage. An FYI for everyone - the Irish do not eat corned beef and cabbage and they pointed out that they eat ham and cabbage!


My worst fears:



Black pudding or blood pudding is made
with blood, barley and seasonings.
White pudding does not include blood, but contains
pork, pork fat, suet, oatmeal and bread. In the past
it would also include sheep's brain as a binder.








Crubeens, also known as pig trotters, are still eaten today.
They are traditionally boiled and can be greasy and
gelatinous. They are rumored to be a good hangover cure
and are making a comeback.


and this takes the cake - haggis. Traditionally a Scottish
dish, but I can't get it out my mind! Another "pudding"
made with sheep's liver, heart and lungs along with onion
and spices and it is placed in the sheep's stomach and boiled.
 
 Ok, so you probably figured out that I have some issues with certain types of food. I make no apologies for passing on all organ meat, pate, lamb, veal and anything I cannot identify. As long as I am not in a position where I will insult the person offering such food I will pass, thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment